- Install OpenVPN by opening a terminal and typing: sudo apt-get install openvpn
- Remove the conflicting startup links (may not be needed): sudo update-rc.d -f openvpn remove
- Download the config files to an empty directory ex. /home/NH from https://www.newshosting.com/vpn/software/nh_configs.zip
- Open a terminal session and go to the directory that the config files are located. (If you downloaded the zip file, you must first extract the config files. You can do this by typing the command 'unzip nh_configs.zip' without the quotes)
- Launch* the OpenVPN client with the specified config file ex.: sudo openvpn --config SERVERNAME.ovpn
From this point forward, you need only use the last command (step 5) to launch OpenVPN and connect. The terminal window will remain open - closing it will terminate the OpenVPN connection. You can also terminate the OpenVPN connection by pressing Ctrl-C (preferred).
Remember that you will use append @newshosting at the end of your username (ex. username@newshosting).
- From the login screen (display manager) choose an administrator-enabled account and login to your main desktop.
- Press Ctrl + Alt + T together or search for "terminal" (without the quotes) to open a terminal window. Once opened, enter the following command with no alterations:
sudo apt-get install openvpn network-manager-openvpn network-manager-openvpn-gnome
- Provide your administrative password and press Enter. When prompted "Do you want to continue?", type Y and press Enter.
- Download an OpenVPN client configuration, found here: https://www.newshosting.com/vpn/software/configs/ You can download the entire configs.zip file and extract it for a full list but there will be hundreds of entries. Save the file(s) to a desired folder.
- Once downloaded, open Settings and navigate to Network or search for "vpn" (without the quotes). Select the + next to VPN, and select "Import from file...". Navigate to the .ovpn file downloaded and Open the file.
- Enter your username and password into the fields provided. Please append @newshosting to the end of your username (ex. "johndoe123@newshosting").
- With the information entered, select Add at the top right. Enter your administrative password to save the configuration.
- Switch the VPN from this screen from OFF to ON. If the connection is successful, the top bar will have a padlock. You can use this icon to turn the VPN off, as well. If you run into any issues, please contact support though our support center.
- Point your cursor to the 'Network Manager Indicator' icon, located in the 'Notification Area' on the default desktop panel, in the upper-right corner. Click this icon, and mouse over the 'VPN Connections' item - click the 'Configure VPN...' item in the expanded menu to continue.
- When the network connections dialog window appears, click the “Add” button.
- In the next window that appears, click on the dropdown menu and select “Point to point tunneling protocol (PPTP)” and click the “Create” button.
- Confirm that the 'VPN' tab is active in the current panel. Fill in a descriptive title for the new connection in the 'Connection name:' field at the top. Under the 'General' category, fill in the 'Gateway:' field with the Newshosting hostname you've selected from our list of available hosts. Below, look for the 'Optional' category, and enter your login credentials in the corresponding fields, if you prefer not to enter them manually at each login. Our authentication servers are case-sensitive, so take care when entering both your username and password. Enter your Newshosting username with @newshosting at the end (ex. username@newshosting). The 'NT Domain' field below should not be filled in. Next, look for the 'Advanced...' button near the bottom-right side of the panel, and click.
- Under the 'Security and Compression' label, tick the checkbox labeled 'Use Point-to-Point encryption (MPEE)'. Next, scroll through the frame labeled 'Authentication', and confirm that ONLY the MSCHAP and MSCHAPv2 boxes are ticked. Finally, click the 'OK' button in the bottom-right corner of the panel to continue.
- To commit the settings, first hit the 'Save' button in the bottom-right corner of this panel. Move your cursor back to the 'Network Connections' panel that was opened earlier, and hit the 'Close' button located at the bottom-right corner to continue.
- Click on the 'Network Manager Indicator' icon, located in the 'Notification Area', and then navigate to the 'VPN Connections' as preformed in the first step. Now, in the expanded menu, you should see an additional item, labeled as the 'Connection name:' defined in step three. You may click this item to initialize the connection. If you declined to save your full credentials, you will soon see a dialog prompting you to enter your username and password. Remember that our authentication servers are case-sensitive, and enter your Newshosting username with @newshosting at the end (ex. username@newshosting) and password to continue. Look in the upper-right corner of your screen for any error notifications that may appear as you connect.
- You will see a message that the VPN has established a connection upon successfully connecting to the VPN. If any other message is shown, feel free to contact our support team for further assistance; otherwise you can now have peace of mind that your online activities are secured and private.